Tuesday, November 07, 2017

What's your purpose?

If you're looking for an uplifting post, I'm afraid to disappoint. Since my last post in March, much things have happened. While I have done impacting work, I left the previous workplace as I found out later that the person I'm reporting to isn't the person who interviewed me. There were also reiterations of work followed by re-work despite agreeing on the objectives, no work-life balance and a terrible sense of entitlement and bullying towards vendors. I have always had a soft spot for underdogs and seeing them being treated unfairly after they have given us good work, disagrees with my values. The final straw came when I met with an accident in the course of work and instead of showing concern, a question came on if I would need my laptop to be sent home to me. 

As Life would have it, I received a call from a headhunter and was promptly recruited to my next, bigger role. This time, with a MNC in industrial space and established brand name. It's supposed to be slow paced (that's what the headhunter sold to me) and the brand name is strong enough to attract me. I would definitely want to learn from this organization, plus I had rapport with my boss during the interview. How bad can it get?

Fast forward close to a year, have I learnt professionally? Yes and no. I ended up having to teach people more than I do my own work. Which is fine, however it also means I don't have much opportunities to boost my resume. However I have undoubtedly grown immensely in personal capacity. Perhaps it is also that I have started reflecting more since becoming a parent. The sense of unfulfilled life nags at me still. And having more time alone (I lunch alone these days) has made me realize I am not as happy as I should be. I am definitely grateful. However, there could be more that I can do with my strengths and skills to benefit the society...

Which comes to my last point as I was whatsapping with a friend. I realize I want to do something that helps marginalized people move up the social ladder, and reduce environmental impact. During the course of our house decluttering, there's so much stuff we could do without. We can afford doesn't mean we have to buy it. There are also stuff that can be repurposed. What can we do about those things... today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home