Sunday, March 13, 2016

Assignment 1

It’s Day 30 on my new job and I absolutely LOVE it! Exciting job scope aside, the people here have been nothing short of amazing. Firstly, the culture is fantastic. People are warm. And I mean, genuinely warm. Everyone greets everyone with a ready smile from the receptionist to the tea lady. It was exactly the same warmth I felt when I first came here for interview two months back. Despite the size of the reception area which was designed to impress (and I suspect, intimidate), I felt right at home. By the end of the hour-long conversation with my then-to-be boss and another colleague, I knew in my gut that I'd fit into the organisation. A place where people are damn good at what they do, proud of what they do, yet bring value to the table without being overbearing or rude.

I dare say this is the most brilliant and exciting company I've worked for in my career thus far. I look forward to the sparring of minds that keeps me on my toes every day. And people here do that. In fact, the intensity of ideas exchanged fueled by passion for the work we do collectively ain't for faint hearts. But I dove right in and relished every second because that's how we learn and grow.

Another thing that I really, REALLY love about this place is how respect is a huge thing. Respect matters a lot to me. I've met too many brilliant people who disappoint when it comes to treating service staff or when they're challenged during meetings. In the latter scenario, they get defensive, or worse, offensive and personal. Relationships are strained and other attendees are unwillingly caught in the bloodbath... which usually are egos talking when stripped to its core.

So imagine my surprise and relief when I started attending meetings here. Doesn't matter what the subject is or who the attendees are, meetings are held with a healthy dose of respect. People are slightly early or on time. The chairperson starts and ends sharply. Agendas are disseminated to all attendees a day before the meeting and action plans, the day after. The best part would be hearing the questions raised at these meetings, which have clearly shown to me that everyone is aligned and wants the best for the business. What's more, there's an unspoken understanding of "agreeing to disagree" which kept discussions robust and constructive. Strictly no time-wasters here!

So far so good, it seems. The items are checking off one by one on my Ideal Workplace list. Very thankful to be part of this amazing team and am definitely looking forward to adding more value in the months ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home