Saturday, January 02, 2016

More than a decade old

Now we don't get to commemorate many "10 years" in our lives and such a milestone is rather significant. To me, at least. And I realised this morning that a major sign of aging is when you start to have various milestones of 10 years popping up here and there... and you don't even realise it until much later hahaha. This blog for example. The first entry was on 27 Mar 2005!!! Can you believe it? To think I didn't write a 10th year post on 27 Mar 2015 to commemorate the event. More than 10 years and 175 posts later, this blog remains important. Not because I've been actively updating it but because it has documented many many of my years when I was in my twenties. If there comes a day when I need to remember what happened, I can always come back here to catch up on the posts.

It is also opportune that I've returned to blog. After all, this place started while I've just started working. I wanted somewhere to record my thoughts as I plunged into the then-new world of working class, rat race, whatever you term it. I remember feeling excited. Idealistic. And like many bright-eyed young people, I wanted to do something meaningful for the world. Lofty aspirations, yes. I remember writing about my wins at the workplace. About the people. And I tried to keep a balance between positive posts and the bitchyisowannaburnyourdesk ones. :)

Ahh, the temper that comes with youth.

SO what's next? I was checking on my savings balance earlier. Next would be to check on my monthly expenses so I can work out an estimated projection of how long I can sustain without a job. It'll also help me calculate how much my online business and investments have to generate in order to cover my fixed expenses at least. In addition to the new online business model, I will be accepting the occasional baking order to keep my pastry practice. Work has somewhat lost its meaning and purpose along the way though I'm now on really good working terms with my direct boss. It's the factors outside of my control. Under extreme workload and lack of sleep, one can only consider that many factors especially political ones. Plus I've never been super bothered by such dynamics at play because all I want to do is to do my job well and not consider self-preservation mode all the time. Alas some people want to look good and score points at the expense of delivery or timeline. I am mentally prepared to go anytime if I am treat unfairly. It might sound childish or rash to people, but nobody owes anyone a living. No one should be treated unjustly simply because they don't know how to defend themselves or articulate themselves as well as some others. Maybe this is why I'm not very suited for a 9-to-5 MNC job. Politics and me don't gel. Or rather, I don't want to go down that slope because I can be quite manipulative and I don't like that part of me at all.

These are exciting times ahead. The lessons from my bakeshop business are proving to be useful now as I build my new online business. It has to be simple. Minimum labor. Able to generate income even when I'm asleep. Minimum dependency such as ingredients freshness etc. Minimum fuss. And I'm doing contingency planning too in terms of revenue generation and ideas for longer term sustenance.

I am also committing an hour a day to work on the business. On weekends it will be more. It is definitely doable if I carve out and plan my time well. Too much time has been wasted and the clock is ticking as I would be out of a job end-May. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home